Website Metropolitan Transportation Authority Office of the Inspector General
Job Title: Principal Staff Performance Auditor/Analyst
Salary Range: Min: $72,467 Mid: $90,584
Open & Closing Dates: March 15, 2021 – Open until filled
Agency: Office of the Inspector General/Metropolitan Transportation Authority
Location: New York City, New York (currently working remotely and/or on-site)
Hours: Full-Time – 8:30 am to 5:00 pm (7.5 hours/day)
Office of the MTA Inspector General
The Office of the MTA Inspector General (MTA/OIG) is a New York State Authority created as an independent oversight entity to review the operations of the MTA and its constituent agencies: the Long Island Railroad (LIRR), Metro-North Commuter Railroad (MNR), the New York City Transit Authority (NYCTA), MTA Bridges & Tunnels (TBTA), MTA Bus Company, Staten Island Rapid Transit and MTA Capital Construction. The MTA/OIG performs audits and conducts investigations into complaints from any source, including commuters and members of the public who access our MTA transit system, or upon its own initiative. It is the mission of the MTA/OIG to promote safety, economy and efficiency in MTA agencies and programs while also detecting and deterring waste, fraud, abuse and misconduct through these audits and investigations. The MTA/OIG does not work alone; through the years the MTA/OIG has forged effective partnerships with other investigative and prosecutorial agencies at the local, state, and federal levels as well as with the conscientious and dedicated managers and staff of the MTA itself.
The MTA/OIG includes investigative attorneys, auditors, investigators, administrative and executive staff.
Duties & Responsibilities
· At the direction of Audit Managers, serves as the team lead, responsible for the planning, conducting, and reporting on assigned questions regarding MTA operations and policy.
· Participates as a team member on the most complex audits reporting directly to an Audit Supervisor or Audit Manager, as assigned.
· Supports investigative cases with analysis or participate as part of the investigative team, as assigned.
· Evaluates agency or program performance using qualitative and quantitative methods to determine expectations/standards, problems, causal factors, and options to correct.
· Conducts oversight of the MTA programs and initiatives.
· Reviews agency processes, procedures, and controls designed to manage and mitigate risk, fraud, waste, and abuse of agency resources.
· Identifies issues and develops a plan to assess their significance.
· Conducts interviews of agency and other personnel and prepares clear and concise interview memoranda.
· Develops appropriate recommendations to improve agency operations, cost-efficiency, and safety.
· Prepares professionally written reports on the areas evaluated.
· Provides leadership, direction, and feedback to junior staff on the team.
· Responsible for meeting project milestones.
· Develops and maintains professional working relationships and continually gains knowledge of evolving agency operations.
· Other duties as assigned by the Executive Deputy Inspector General for Audit or her designee.
· Bachelor’s degree (master’s a plus), in fields such as public administration, business, mathematics, data science, economics, accounting, the social sciences, or other related business or operational field.
· Minimum of five years of experience in performance auditing or a related evaluation, oversight, and project management focused field.
· Demonstrated analytical skills, critical thinking skills, impartial judgment, and research aptitude.
· Excellent oral skills for interviewing, experience a plus.
· Excellent writing skills for documenting interviews, summarizing evaluation findings, and drafting reports.
· Ability to gather and interpret high volumes of complex data. High proficiency in Excel. Familiarity with advanced Excel techniques, Access, Power BI, or other data-analysis programs a plus.
· Ability to handle multiple projects while maintaining careful attention to detail and accuracy.
· Ability to interact effectively with department and agency staff and more senior management.
· Construction-related experience is a plus.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter and three professional references: RECRUITMENTS@MTAIG.ORG
To apply for this job email your details to RECRUITMENTS@MTAIG.ORG