City of Miami Beach Office of the Inspector General
SALARY: $29.50 – $48.26 Hourly
$2,360.00 – $3,860.80 Biweekly
OPENING DATE: 04/05/21
CLOSING DATE: 04/26/21 05:00 PM
NATURE OF WORK:
Professional audit work of various financial operations in City departments, agencies and external organizations having contractual relationship with the City. Employees in this classification perform audit assignments using audit program guides and apply professional audit standards. Incumbent must exercise professional knowledge and independent judgment in control problems which require correction.
Employees in this class examine, analyze and verify financial records in staff and operating agencies and departments as well as in companies having contracts, leases, and franchises with the City. Emphasis of the work is on the analysis of varied accounting records, systems and controls, and preparation of reports based on audit findings. Assignments are usually determined in scope and coverage by departmental regulations and statutory requirements, and incumbents utilize audit program guides and apply professional auditing standards in internal or external audits. Employees work in the conduct of systematic audit programs or in special auditing assignments, or may be assigned to less complex audits or phases of audit programs independently. Incumbents must exercise professional knowledge and independent judgment in the audit of financial records and recognition of accounting errors, irregularities and system or control problems which require correction. Supervision is received from a professional superior who reviews work progress and completed work for adherence to professional auditing standards and program guidelines.
NOTE: If you have applied to the previous advertisement of March 17, 2021, you do not need to re-apply.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
· Conducts routine audit assignments by planning, examining, and verifying evidentiary data
· Discusses any unusual findings with superior during audit process
· Prepares draft of report of findings, including summaries of supporting information and recommendations for corrective action.
· Performs miscellaneous audit functions such as: payroll distribution, cash counts, productivity analysis, verification of travel expense reports, and direct payment vouchers
· Participates in special reviews, staff meetings, and various seminars
· Performs related tasks as required
· Two years-experience in auditing
· Graduation from accredited college or university with a major in accounting, public or business administration or equivalent
· Experience can substitute for education on a year-for-year basis
· Graduation from accredited college or university with a four-year degree in in accounting, public/business administration.
· Governmental auditing experience.
· Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively communicate and interact with other employees and the public through the use of the telephone and personal contact
· Physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment, such as, but not limited to, word processor, calculator, copier, and fax machine
· Significant amounts of walking, climbing, bending, etc. for a limited number of days
· Some climbing, bending, kneeling, lifting, pushing, and pulling are sometimes necessary in the retrieval of documents from file cabinets
FOR ALL POSITIONS:
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected officials, coworkers, the press the general public and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds regardless of race, religion, age, sex, disability, political affiliation, gender identity or sexual orientation.
· Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of all city ethics and conflicts of interest policies. Strong understanding of ethical behavior is required.
· Ability to maintain regular and punctual attendance.
· Performs related work as required
· Reports to work as directed during an emergency as an essential employee of the City of Miami Beach
For all technical, professional, supervisory and managerial positions:
· Ability to develop innovative and creative solutions to issues consistent with the City’s strategic plan.
Applicants must detail any related work experience on the application or risk disqualification. It is the applicant’s responsibility to update their NEOGOV profile with work experience, education, certifications and personal contact information when submitting each application, failure to do so will result in ineligibility. City of Miami Beach employees must reflect their current position and detail their work experience on the application to avoid being disqualified.
Veterans Preference: Veterans Preference is awarded in accordance with Florida State Statute 295.07. If veteran’s preference is being claimed, it must be indicated on the application form and proper documentation, including all forms DD-214 (either Member 2 or Member 4), as well as the final Department of Defense Disability Letter (dated within one year) must be submitted with the application.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
OUR OFFICE IS LOCATED AT:
1700 Convention Center Drive
Miami Beach, FL 33139
Auditor Supplemental Questionnaire
* 1. Which best describes your level of education? Please make sure to complete ‘Education’ section of the application. Required: Major in accounting, public or business administration or equivalent
Master’s Degree or beyond
* 2. How many years of experience do you have in auditing?
No such experience
0 – 1 years of experience (but less than 1)
1 – 2 years of experience (but less than 2)
2 – 3 years of experience (but less than 3)
3 – 4 years of experience (but less than 4)
4 – 5 years of experience (but less than 5)
5- 6 years of experience (but less than 6)
Over 6 years of experience
*3. What types of internal audits (governmental or non-governmental) have you worked on? What were the subject matter of these audits?
*4. What is your experience in working with auditing data analysis (mining) software (ACL, IDEA, etc.) If so, how did you use it in the above audits or any other audit.
*5. I acknowledge that in order to claim Veterans Preference, I must indicate it on the application form and attach proper documentation. If you are not claiming Veterans Preference, please check box indicating N/A.
To apply for this job please visit www.miamibeachfl.gov.