Under the supervision of a Chief Investigator this position performs at the entry level investigation cases assigned to the Office of Inspector General involving allegations of official misconduct, residency violations and waste and inefficiency by city employees, contractors and others seeking to do business with the city, and performs related duties as required.
- Interviews complainants, witnesses, and employees to gather facts to investigate allegations of official misconduct and violations of personnel and administrative rules by city employees and contractors
- Conducts stationary and mobile surveillance
- Gathers and performs analyses of work records and related documents (e.g., time sheets, activity reports, financial statements)
- Uses photographic and video equipment in the conduct of surveillance work to observe acts of misconduct (e.g., fraud, residency violations)
- Prepares reports of investigative activities conducted, including findings of waste and inefficiency of city programs, and makes preliminary recommendations for discipline and improvements to departmental operations
- Testifies in court, at arbitrations, or in hearings on investigation findings
- Updates and maintains case management records to report on the status of assigned investigations
- Assists senior investigative staff in the conduct of criminal, large-scale and complex investigations as required
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree. A valid State of Illinois driver’s license is required, as well as the availability to work any duty watch.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: At least one year of experience in the conduct of investigations of criminal or fraudulent activity. Computer literacy including working knowledge of word processing programs and spreadsheets.
Range: $58,260 – $79,620 (annual increases)
Starting $58,260 – (non-negotiable); Post successful six-month review $61,236
TRAVEL AND SCHEDULE: Travel outside Chicago is not required. Standard work hours are 8:30am-4:30pm, flexibility permitted.
RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT: Employees must be a resident of the City of Chicago and proof of residency is required at the commencement of employment, per Section 2-152-340 of the Municipal Code of Chicago.
OWING OF CITY DEBT: Municipal Code of Chicago 2-152-150 prohibits the hiring of anyone who owes any debt to the City of Chicago.
INSTRUCTIONS: To apply for this job title do NOT use the City of Chicago online application.
WE VALUE DIVERSITY
The Office of the Inspector General (OIG) is an equal opportunity employer.
OIG is an inclusive organization that hires and develops all its staff of all levels regardless of race, religion, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, marital or parental status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, age, veteran status, and all other characteristics protected by law.
OIG strives to create the kind of workplace where a socially diverse mix of people can thrive professionally. We pride ourselves in meeting our legal charge to promote economy, effectiveness, efficiency, and integrity in government. Through the hard work of our passionate and innovative team, OIG aims to serve every community with equity, respect, and dignity.
Complete, the “Inspector General Employment Application,” by clicking here;
NOTE: APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY THE INDIVIDUAL APPLYING. NO SECOND PARTY APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. THE INSPECTOR GENERAL’S OFFICE REQUIRES THAT ITS EMPLOYEES BE NONPARTISAN AND FREE FROM CONFLICTS OF INTEREST.
THE CITY OF CHICAGO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND MILITARY FRIENDLY EMPLOYER
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. The City of Chicago does not participate in E-Verify (Employment Eligibility Verification System). In addition, employment at the Office of Inspector General is contingent upon a satisfactory criminal background check.
To apply for this job please visit igchicago.org.