John Jay College
524 W. 59th Street
New York, NY 10019
June 20, 2012 – 8:00 a.m.
- Steven Pasichow (“Steve”) called the meeting to order at 8:10 a.m. Steve welcomed all to the meeting of the New York & New Jersey Chapter (“Chapter”) of the Association of Inspectors General (“Association”).
- Steve asked that the Chapter Members introduce him or herself, and name the office/agency with which they are associated. There were 35 individuals in attendance at this meeting.
- Steve announced that there will be an AIG conference in October in Clearwater Florida and three Institutes (CIG, CIGA, CIGI) in August in West Palm Beach Florida.
- Steve introduced Shari Hyman, the Commissioner of the NYC Business Integrity Commission (“BIC”), as our first speaker. Shari spoke about what functions her agency performs, and how her agency (BIC) can interact, and work with, our agencies.
- Steve introduced Deirdre McEvoy, the Chief of the US DOJ Antitrust Division, New York Office, as our second speaker. Deirdre described her background, the focus and jurisdiction of her office, some of their recent cases, and the ways that her office can work with our agencies.
- Steve introduced Thomas O’Donnell, Special Agent-in-Charge of the U.S. Health & Human Services, Office of Inspector General, New York Office. Tom discussed his (and his office’s) experiences with working with CNBC to prepare a featured hour-long CNBC show regarding healthcare fraud. Tom showed part of the resulting show on the video screen. A CD with the show on it was offered to the Chapter’s participants.
- Steve asked for suggestions for possible future speakers. He said that we have some limited funds available for speakers. One suggestion made was to have a training session on how OIGs can work with the media and respond to questions posed by them pertaining to investigations.
- Steve reminded attendees that renewal of Chapter membership is coming in July and he urged everyone to either join the Chapter or renew their membership.
- Ned Benton stated that the AIG will accept press releases and/or news stories on investigations conducted by the attendees and their offices for the IG News newsletter.
- Steve opened the meeting up to any old business and new business. There was none.
- Steve adjourned the meeting at 9:15 am.