Under general supervision of the OIG Attorney, the associate attorney, in daily operations furthers the Office of Inspector General’s capacity to detect incidents of possible waste, abuse, fraud, or corruption.
Examples of Duties
- Assist Inspector General (IG), Deputy Inspector General (DIG) and OIG Attorney in their respective duties and all other matter as requested and necessary.
- Provide advice on legal issues related to investigations and administrative hearings including issues concerning local, state, and federal laws, statutes and contracts.
- Perform legal research and drafts legal memoranda on issues concerning local, state or federal law as it relates to investigations, audits, and program reviews, as requested by the IG and the DIG.
- Prepare affidavits and other documents for criminal, civil or administrative actions.
- Conduct investigations and program reviews as assigned by the OIG Attorney, DIG and the IG.
- Coordinate with City Council Legislative and Policy Division, the City of Detroit Law Department, any other City departments and agencies, legal representatives of City Contractors, and any local or federal authorities matters concerning the OIG as directed by the IG, DIG and/or OIG Attorney.
- Conduct or assist in high-profile or complex investigations.
Conduct and/or assist in interviews of complainants, witnesses, and subjects to gather facts and evidence in the course of investigating alleged criminal activity, violations of personnel and administrative rules, and waste and inefficiency within city government and by those doing business or seeking to do business with the city.
- Prepare and/or review detailed reports of investigations setting forth allegations, findings, evidence and recommendations.
- Collect, evaluate and prepare evidence for presentation to prosecuting agency officials and for introduction at administrative proceedings.
- Coordinate with outside law enforcement entities as appropriate.
- Review and proofreads reports summarizing investigative/monitoring findings, and outlining disciplinary, operational and policy recommendations for errors and consistency.
- Provide support for all OIG Administrative Hearings and Debarment proceedings.
- Provide and/or assist in providing representation of the OIG during formal and informal meetings
- Provide and/or assist in any OIG outreach programs or activities.
Juris Doctorate degree from an American Bar Association approved institution.
Minimum of one (1) year of legal experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience, provided the law license requirement is met.
WRITING SAMPLE: A writing sample is required; please provide a short writing sample which demonstrates your analytical skills. Your writing sample should be no longer than 5 pages.
PLEASE ATTACH A RESUME WRITING SAMPLE & ALL SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION TO YOUR APPLICATION.
To apply for this job please visit www.detroitmi.gov.