Office of the Executive Inspector General
Office of Executive Inspector General
Position Description: ASSISTANT INSPECTOR GENERAL
Posting Date: April 11, 2023
Posting Close Date: April 25, 2023
Salary Range $6,667.00 to $8,333.50 Monthly
($80,004 – $100,002/yr)
POSITION SUMMARY: Under management direction of the Deputy Inspector General and/or Deputy
Inspector General and Chief, serves as Assistant Inspector General. The incumbent is responsible for
drafting final summary reports for investigative cases conducted by the Office of Executive Inspector
General (OEIG) under the auspices of the State Officials and Employees Ethics Act, conducting or assisting
with research relating to legal, investigative, disciplinary, and other relevant issues. This position involves
working with information of an extremely sensitive and confidential nature associated with investigations
and legal proceedings.
1. Responsible for drafting final summary reports for investigative cases. Final summary reports include:
documentation of allegations, investigative steps taken, evidence adduced, analyses of ethical and
legal implications, findings and recommendations for appropriate action.
2. Assists in conducting research relating to legal, investigative, labor, disciplinary and other relevant
issues under statutes, rules and regulations.
3. Drafts legal memoranda summarizing research.
4. Assists Investigators in development of investigative plans. Provides legal guidance and resolution of
legal issues that arise during investigations. Prepares subpoenas and assists other OEIG legal staff in
5. Interviews subjects, eyewitnesses and various other parties regarding information to gather, verify,
and/or corroborate evidence.
6. Ensures compliance with internal and external reporting and other statutory obligations by maintaining
case logs, providing input on monthly reports, investigative status reports, and reviewing responses
and other documents stemming from the issuance of founded reports.
7. Assists in investigating and issuing revolving door determinations and reviewing the state’s hiring
practices to ensure compliance with state and federal hiring practices.
8. Directs the preparation of case files. Reviews pleadings and testifies before administrative judicatory
bodies. Attends hearings before the EEC. Draft briefs and provides oral arguments before the EEC
9. Assists law enforcement authorities.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: Performs other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably
within the scope of the duties enumerated above.
REPORTS TO: Deputy Inspector General and/or Deputy Inspector General and Chief
SUBORDINATE POSITIONS: None
• graduation from an accredited law school;
• successful completion of the Uniform Bar Examination or license to practice law in the United
• admittance to Illinois State Bar within one year of acceptance of an AIG positions;
• prior legal experience in the area of ethics, criminal or labor/employment law is desirable;
• ability to balance multiple concurrent priorities;
• high ethical standards and the ability to work with sensitive and confidential materials;
• ability to travel, including overnight;
• flexibility to work independently and in a team environment;
• excellent interpersonal, analytical, research, writing, organizational, and communication skills; and
• demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook) and internet applications.
JOB STATUS: Full-time, FLSA exempt. This position is exempt from the provisions of the State of Illinois
LOCATION: The position is in our Chicago office at 69 West Washington.
HOW TO APPLY: (The OEIG is a non-code state agency) Applicants should select the employment tab on our website at www.inspectorgeneral.illinois.gov and click the “Apply to the OEIG” link and follow the instructions for applying.
The OEIG is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or completing any pre-employment testing, please direct your inquiries to Human Resources at (312) 814-1789, or OIG.InspectorGeneral@illinois.gov. Hiring decisions are not based on or affected by political factors, including political sponsorship, affiliation, or support.
To apply for this job please visit oeig.illinois.gov.